Saturday, May 25, 2013

Last Day of School

Yesterday was a doozie.  Should have been an uneventful day of 2 finals and sending middle schoolers on their way home for summer. Instead, one of the 7th graders decided to snatch my iphone off of the desk and consider it hers.  When I realized it was gone (about 2 hours later) panic set in.  Not so much for the phone, internet connection, ability to text, etc.  But for the pictures stored in the phone.  I am not the best at downloading the pics in a timely fashion.  Lesson learned!

Of course, the school has video cameras everywhere and the library has two so we were able to track down the culprit after about 30 min of scanning videos.  This is not a high crime area and since I've been here (6 yrs.) I have never had a reason to feel like I needed to lock everything up, never turn my back, etc.

Sad way for a 14 yr. old to begin her summer - with paperwork for the juvie justice system. I hope that the experience scares her enough to never take something that doesn't belong to her.  Although, she never spoke to me, said she was sorry, shed a tear or even looked concerned.

I'll alter how I handle things in the library but it is a sad, eye opening experience for me.

Renee

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm glad you got your iPhone back. The good news is that even if the surveillance video had failed you, there are several programs (e.g. Find My iPhone, Lookout Mobile Security) available to help track down a missing device. Hopefully the thief has learned a valuable lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. I hope that the lesson has been learned, too. Although there were no words of apology, tears or even fear in her eyes. Kinda scary. It was a lesson for me - I'll make better choices (be smarter!).

      Delete
  2. That's terrible! Glad you got it back. My son's phone was stolen at school this year too but we tracked it down with "find my iPhone app." Caught the kid red handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that they caught the little sticky finger Louie. Michelle mentioned another app - so I've got both downloaded just incase. :)

      Delete