Sunday, May 19, 2013

I surrender Joomla!


Joomla for Dummies. That’s what it felt like.  I have limited experience with web design or content management systems.  After experiencing problems with the initial registration for the demo product (it took several requests and emails) I was ready to begin.  I started with an idea of creating a site for somewhere I’d rather be – my favorite beach area – instead of at home doing homework.  The assignment of two menus and two articles did not seem to be a daunting task.

I watched the ten or eleven video tutorials from cloudaccess, with the first three confusing me.  Why have a product that in the first few steps you are required to delete all of the content in a multistep process (articles, category, & menus).  Why not start with a clean slate.  I am still not sure about the reasoning for filling with sample data only to repopulate with your information.  I did wind up having to return to the tutorials and pause them while I caught up with my project.  It was informative having manageable tutorials in 2-6 minute lengths.  I did follow instructions and download a free template and the JCE Editor – only to simplify my efforts and not really use either.  I found the product to be frustrating and unwieldy.  Not as intuitive as the two other programs I have worked with (School Center & Google Sites).  After spending no less than 9 hours on the assignment, I did also go to Drupal to try it out.  Within twenty minutes of installing Drupal I was making progress and had a basic site started.

So, I wave a white flag and surrender to Joomla.  Here is my first attempt… http://rreedvsu.cloudaccess.net/       I had envisioned much more and I am embarrassed that it is so simple yet took an entire day.  I am drawn to white space and clean lines, which the site does provide.  At this point though I must set it free and move on.  Libraries do need an online presence with features that support their mission and community needs.  As McLean and Burridge (2010) share, using an open source CMS is a logical choice for libraries.  They also tackled their redevelopment in the right way with a team, needs assessment, and identified features.  They report that the experience with Drupal was a success – staff and patrons are happy with the layout, staff members are also pleased with the ease of use and the library has a more interactive presence.
-Renee  

 

1 comment:

  1. Renee,
    I felt the same way with Joomla. In fact, I couldn't figure out why my stuff was not replacing their stuff. I finally realized I had to overwrite and unpublish what they had done(without breaking the link). It was not at all intuative. I might have a look at Drupal if it is that much easier.
    I began the video, but then was not in a place to finish it- so I ended up trying to figure it out alone. Which, honestly, might have helped me because I did not download the JCE Editor and just have one MORE thing to figure out.

    ReplyDelete